People keep saying - USM has started, UUM started, UTHM also started why UM can't follow them?
USM started the "white coffin" campaign back 2008 when students managed to get their VC to ban the product.
In UM, the scenario is a bit different. I was (and currently still am) a student in UM from 2005. I stayed in 7th residential college, one of 9 colleges that has canteen rather than cafes. To us, "white poison" was not an issue. This is due to our canteen uses plates and no food packaging. Even when we need to pack food (due to class schedule, we might miss our meal time), we usually gave our OWN CONTAINERS to the mak cik canteen and they will pack into that container. So it was never a problem to us. Up til today.
So, how did "white poison" became poison? It all begin with cafes, found in the other 3 colleges and all faculties. It was never a serious problem (referring to the amount), until 12th college started to use polystyrene plates, in 2008. There are a lot of versions, from different parties, why the operators convert to use polystyrene. I summarise as below:-
1. Students steal the plates and bring them back to room
2. It's costly to bear the dish washing stewards
3. Not hygienic because of the improper cleaning of plates (complaints from students)
4. Covenient because it's disposable
Thus, when USM champion the "white coffin" campaign, UM is the other way round, sing more polystyrene than before. So, we are running on a different lane. So, I try to find out the problem. Here I summarise why people still prefer using polystyrene:-
1. Not enough space for eat-in during meal times, so, tapau (with white poison)2. Convenient because don't have to wash (just throw, but infact students just leave it on table)
3. Don't have to carry own container everywhere they go4. Lazy go back room to get own container
5. Lazy to wash own container6. Not hygiene because of improper cleaning
7. Not aware of what white poison can do to the environment and health
polystyrene will not decay even after storm, rain and etc.
we use so many white poison, until they are much longer than the Kancil
this is how much we use during semester break for just one dinner in one college
imagine 365 days in UM...